Thursday, February 3, 2011

First time I met Don

I'll never forget when I first saw Don--he was the first person I met from UW-L.  I had just gotten off the plane from the Twin Cities after coming from San Diego.  It was very cold.  As far as I know, nobody told me somebody was going to pick me up.  On arrival I walked outside the terminal, wondering if there would be taxis there (there weren't) and wondering if indeed somebody from the university was there for me.   But as I walked out, there was this big guy (Don) in shorts and a ski cap coming in.  I remember thinking, "who the hell is that"?  We were probably both looking for somebody who looked professorial.  I think we both had our expectations unmet.  But eventually his looking for somebody demeanor and my I don't know what to do demeanor brought us together.  During the ride to the hotel we discussed Japanese horror films.

I can't believe he is gone.  I will miss his iconoclastic humor, fearlessness, and complete honesty.   I regret that I did not spend more time with him.  I will never forget the time when we shared an "old school" breakfast in downtown La Crosse.  I will never forget our conversations regarding pedagogy, music, art, culture, monstrosity, "theory," etc.

My heart goes out to Susan and Benjamin.  I know there is no easy way to deal with such a horrible and unexpected loss.

Last email exchange with Don:  


Don: 


i know that you got this on one of your midterms... well, if it's any consolation, you're not the only one whose soul is being prayed for by his students... this is from the last page of a HIS 101 final that i just graded:

"i appreciate your perspective, but most of all i appreciate your challenging me to REALLY KNOW what i believe. GOD pursues everyone in some way. one day you will know Him as i do."

Me:

When you get to know HIM as your student does, say hi for me....

Don:

i would love to write back on the exam: "godlessness pursues everyone in some way. one day you will know godlessness as i do." either that or: "my people have always killed missionaries."

No comments:

Post a Comment