Monday, February 7, 2011

Remembering a great Professor, a great Man

Im going to apologize in advance for my rambling. There's so much to say about Dr. LaCoss, so I'll do my best to make sense of everything in my brain.

I'll never forget my first experience with Dr. LaCoss. It was my very first class during my first semester at UW-L. As a freshman, I had no idea what to expect from classes and professors. It was HIS 101 in Wimberly Hall. All the students were waiting for class to start when in walks this big guy wearing shorts that looked like they used to be sweatpants, a very tattered black sweatshirt, a winter stocking cap (in September), thick, black rimmed glasses, and, best of all, combat boots! He sits down at the desk in the front of the room! This guy is our professor?! He passes out the syllabus and says, "See you Thursday." I could just tell that this guy was going to be an experience, and he was!

Dr. LaCoss was such a great teacher of history. His ability to bring relevant issues to the discussion through historical events was awesome! I always made Dr. LaCoss' classes my #1 priority during course selections because I knew he would make the semester worth my tuition. I was so lucky to have had four courses with Dr. LaCoss. He was without a doubt the best professor I had at UW-L, and I had some really good professors.

What I think I'll miss most about Dr. LaCoss is something that I rarely got to experience but really wish I had had the opportunity to experience with him. Dr. LaCoss was an easy person to talk to about anything, and what was so awesome was that he would always listen, even if he disagreed. I believe that Dr. LaCoss and I wouldn't have had a whole lot in common, but I know that he never would have disregarded or devalued my opinions. If there is one thing I learned from Dr. LaCoss, its that differing opinions are good! Discussion and respectful debate is good! Man, what an awesome dude!

Dr. LaCoss, you will be missed. Your impact lives on, and I hope you can feel the love and appreciation that so many people have for you.

R.I.P.
Nick Larson

No comments:

Post a Comment