Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Words from one of Don's students...

As one of Don's students at UW-L, I feel honored to have known him as my professor and my friend.  Don was my first professor at school and as a student who's been out of high school for some time, college was quite intimidating--until I met Don.  I will never forget my first day at UW-L... In History 101, I was scared  of the atmosphere--the desks, the time of day, the age of my classmates, even the desks... But something struck me as being odd when a few minutes after class was supposed to start the professor was wheeled into the classroom with the assistance of another student.  He did not fit the description of a typical history professor (which I consider one being quite aged and wearing a tweed jacket, bow tie and smoking a tobacco pipe).  Instead, he was a very humorous and very outgoing in his teaching and made all of the assignments/readings/lectures relevant to world events.  Today, I am saddened by Don's passing.  But I was blessed to have had him for seven more courses including my History Research Seminar which is the undergraduate capstone course.  Of all the teachers that I have ever had (Kindergarten through college), Don LaCoss remains perhaps the best because he took the time to make learning and analyzing material a fun challenge.  He also took time out to help me write papers to perfection, even though it may have been just fine.  Don challenged me to do my best and even though I am not an honor student, he always treated me like one.  My most sincere condolences go out to Susan, Benjamin and to all of Don's colleagues.

**Don, as your friend I will always appreciate your support and your encouragement. Be well.  Thank you for being such a great teacher.  Thank you for all of your inspirations.**

Darren Kinder, HIS major, UW-L

No comments:

Post a Comment