Friday, February 4, 2011

Inspiring intellectual and a courageous professor

What a great teacher he was. Once, as a student, I was walking in the halls and heard a great, booming voice coming from one of the classrooms. He sounded like a “big city” professor so I couldn't help myself and I stopped to listen. He was a courageous lecturer; not at all afraid to say what he wanted. Even those few minutes in the hall, I learned something pretty cool! I was determined then to take his classes, even though you had to get a paper signed by him in order to enroll. And so, I had the honour of taking two of his classes- European History and a Holocaust course. My grandma, being Jewish and spending the last 10 years of her life writing a book called Holocaust Mosaic (she was about 95 when it was finally published), made the Holocaust class very important to me. I shared my grandmother's book with Don and he helped my mother and me with some old material she had (which we ended up donating to the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC with his help).

He often said such risky things in class that I always sat in the front row because I never wanted to miss a minute. Once he said something like “You all know Christianity is the worlds most successful cult, right?” That was my favorite lecture and one I won't forget. I was writing Susan that I think it would take a lot of courage to say that to a packed classroom but Don said it with a nonchalance and coolness—it was no sweat of his back! I am so saddened that La Crosse is now without a man of his intellect and ideals. We need more people like him. He was way to young to leave this world and his beautiful partner and son. At the very end of January, I felt an overwhelming urge to write him an email. To catch up, to say hi. I really shouldn't have procrastinated that. It makes me want to live life to the fullest and embrace every opportunity! And not procrastinate catching up with wonderful, inspiring people.

Another memory came to mind of the art show he took part in and worked at in my families business- I believe he participated two years in a row. I was so proud to have him there that day in such a different kind of setting--outside of the classroom, surrounded by surrealist art. I remember he ordered coffee with about three extra shots of espresso, which impressed my brother! I introduced him to my mother that day too, brimming over with nervousness. I hope he enjoyed those days working in the art show, it was sure nice to have him there. 

The first class we had together, I remember him being so funny. He said “You can call me Don. You can call me LaCoss. Just don't call me La Crosse”... what an awesome guy he was!  

1 comment: