Thursday, February 3, 2011

I'm Kirk Douglas' son

Tonight I showed my world history class the famous "I'm Spartacus" scene from the Kirk Douglas, Stanley Kubrick film. I started to laugh because I remembered what Don called an apocryphal story that he told me (Gerry) and John:

Kirk Douglas' other son (not Michael) was trying to be a standup comic, but he was really bad at it. (John said, "Shecky Douglas"?) So he was getting heckled, and he said, "you can't do this to me; I'm Kirk Douglas' son." Then somebody in the audience stood up and said, "I'm Kirk Douglas' son," and then somebody else said, "I'm Kirk Douglas' son," and so on.....

After showing the clip, laughing, and getting a bit choked up at the same time, I told my class the story (they had already heard about Don's passing), and they laughed.

I like to think a little part of Don lived on in that laughter....

No comments:

Post a Comment