Wednesday, February 2, 2011

In the hallway

As a new faculty member in the History department, I have the less desirable office space, a dark, window-less cave.  Don, on the other hand, had the bright office with the window and a green neon sign, “Aquatics.” While seemingly different, our offices share one common feature. As Don would say, we were both in “Kashmir,” referring to the disputed territory bordered by India and Pakistan.  It was his way of referring to the location of our offices. Our hallway has both History and Economics faculty offices; Don and I were on the fringe of the History department, yet next-door to the Economics department. The mention of Kashmir as well as the print of goddess Durga in his office and our brief discussion of Bollywood signaled that Don was interested in South Asian contemporary politics, mythologies, and popular culture. He even encouraged UW-L and the History department to offer a South Asia History position. I first met Don when I interviewed for that job at the AHA meeting last January. I was taken by our shared interests in art history and our use of visual culture in our research. Most of all, I was intrigued by his warmth, humor, and a humility that masked great brilliance.
Although we were neighbors in our History department, I regret missing the opportunity to know Don even better. Last semester, I was busy settling into my new job in Wisconsin. But I am thankful that even in my short time here, I am all the more blessed just by crossing paths with Don, both in the hallway and in life.

---Gita V. Pai, History Department, UW-L

2 comments:

  1. Very well written post !! Its really good to know about the DON. Don is looking to be very nice person. Great to know that he had a bright office with window and green neon sign "Aquatic". I love neon sign so much. It always fascinate me :)
    123neonsigns

    ReplyDelete