Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Memories of Don

I didn't know Don nearly as well as my wife, Carolyn Comiskey, but I loved him for his devastatingly funny wit - he would throw away with such seeming casualness - and for his generous intelligence.  I remember one evening sitting near Don in the Fishbowl at U of Michigan, and while we were both waiting for our work to print out, he managed to explain the origins of Surrealism in a brilliant 5 minute nugget.  I've never forgotten it. 

He was also the only person, including me, who could regularly inspire belly laughs in Carolyn; I've only been able to get smiles and chuckles (she's a tough audience, humorwise).  After I first met Carolyn at a party, Don was the one who gave me the correct spelling of her name the next day (it wasn't Kaminsky, as I thought it was) so I could call her up for a date.  I can't believe he's gone - we both miss him so much.

-Lee Behlman

No comments:

Post a Comment