Sunday, February 13, 2011

with gratitude

I have had the true pleasure of knowing Don, Susan and Benjamin for only four years…such an impact for such a short amount of time. As I walked away from my very first interaction with Don, I was smiling. I was instantly aware of what a remarkable man I had just met. Someone posted earlier on this blog that Don always made her feel smart. I understand that feeling – more than a sense of our own intelligence, he left us all with a clear understanding of our own individual worth and interest. I imagine that the injustice and violence of the greater world held disappointment and frustration for Don. I know, however, that the “lesser” world – the places he and Benjamin explored together, the people he loved and was loved by – that world was one of wonder for him. Don’s existence changed the world for so many of us. Seeing Don with Benjamin was a lovely picture of fatherhood. Talking to him about Susan and her accomplishments – from her work at UWL to Roller Derby – was a glimpse into a loving and respectful partnership. I will miss the happy surprises of seeing Don at the coffee shop, or at Family Resources, but I will remain grateful for the honor of knowing him. Susan Fossen

No comments:

Post a Comment