Saturday, February 5, 2011

Love

I have wanted to post something for days that would capture what Don meant to me in the years that we spent time together, and I have found it impossible.  Too many feelings getting in the way of the words.  So I have turned to the historical sources of that friendship (my archive, if you will) to help me.  In re-reading the letters we wrote back and forth to each other while he was in Ann Arbor and I was in Paris doing doctoral research, I found a quote that I had mailed to him on the nature of love:  "Love is not a chemical reaction (though it is that), but also an emotional accomplishment, a moral choice, the sublime felt experience that accompanies the providing of comfort, the making of kindness, the willingness to forgive, and the granting of dignity."  

To me, this is how Don loved.   Those of us who felt that love were given a great gift.  I will always be grateful to have been among them.


In loving testimony to a wonderful man,
Maud

 

1 comment: